Search This Blog

Monday, December 17, 2012

Sad Few Days

Good afternoon y'all...I wanted to take a minute to write a bit about how I feel, as a parent, about the Sandy Hook tragedy.  Words cannot begin to express the feeling of sadness I have for those poor children who were taken from this earth, for their families, for their friends who are left wondering what happened to them, for those who responded to the crime scene, and for the witnesses of such evil.  My heart breaks for you all.

As I type this I get teary eyed and cannot phathom my child being taken from me in such a voilent manner at the hand of a total stranger.  As a Mother, your first and only instint is to protect your kids from anything and everything that might possibly harm them.  Of course all the news Friday was coming in all jible-jambled and incorrect, however throughout the weekend the ruffles in the story began to smooth themselves out and the information became more clear.

How could someone who had NO TIES to Sandy Hook go and do such a thing to such innocent souls??  I do know the answers will be given to the Good Lord above, and He will be the one this person (and I use the term loosely) will have to answer to. 

It terrifies me to the core to know I am leaving my child in the care of others, in other words trusting of another to ensure the upmost care, and having to rely on strangers to protect my child, should danger ever occur during a time I am not around.  We cannot live our lives in fear, however.  I read an article where someone stated that after such a tragedy, they were to return to normalcy.  But the question now remains, what is normal?

My Aunt asked me the other day if I talked to Kayla about the tragedy - I told her no, I hadn't.  I feel at 3, she's too young to understand however I do plan to talk to her about "bad guys" is how I will put it.  She is too young to understand what happened to these kids, however she isn't too young to understand what is considered to be BAD.

I started to go thru the pictures of the victims from Friday and I got to picture #2 and had to move on to another story b/c I was finding myself crying for these poor, innocent souls, who had no idea what waited for them that day at school. 

I don't know what prompted me to write about something so sad, however I felt it my need as a parent to put how terrifiying and truly sickening it is to now know this possibility is out there.  Ironically enough this morning as I was putting Kayla's shoes on she said "I don't like school" - granted, this could be b/c she has been getting into a bit of trouble lately; but myself, knowing the situation from Friday thought it to be oddly ironic that she made such a statement.

I will close with this poem I have seen fluttering around Instagram and Twitter today and, once again, it brought tears to my eyes bc it is so sweet and dear.  Hold your loved ones close to you and tell them as often as you can you LOVE them...



Take care until next time,

Alicia

P.S. - If you have any thoughts you wish to share, I'd love for you to share...

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel dear!! My little sister was in a high school shooting this year!! It is very scary!! I don't even want to think about when my daughter is old enough for school :(

    ReplyDelete